Wednesday 16 June 2010

Staying Afloat

I can't keep up. Everytime I turn around another thing goes wrong in the house. Anything from a corrupted computer, through peeling paintwork to dead dishwasher. There is always something that needs fixing or replacing. And not enough time in the day to stay on top, plus have a life.

Now I've done the sums and it's scary. I count the number of gadgets and appliances in the house and assume each one will last oh, say about 10 years.That means something will go wrong each month. The cost of replacement or calling in an expert doesn't bear thinking about.

So I try fixing it first myself. And take on all the preventative maintenance to stop other things reaching that stage. It's all too much. So best not to think about it.

That's why my wife's suggestion that we decorate another room leads to a frosty response. Better we focus on the essentials. So I have to push back. Of course I don't want to but otherwise something must give: Either the bank account or my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment