Wednesday 8 September 2010

A Gap in the Market

I went to buy a newspaper while in Edinburgh in June. It was not good timing. England had just lost to Germany in the World Cup. So I reverted to type and tried a joke.

"Do you have any where Enaglnd won?" The newsagent looked at me with a mixture of pity and then understanding. Being a Scotland supporter he too had long suffered for his team. But I think the sympathy was mixed with thinly disguised satisfaction.

Then it struck me. Maybe there should be a newspaper where the opposite happens. "Rooney scores wonder goal as England progress to Quarter Final." "Police arrest intended rapist". "Bankers turn down bonuses". Boy oh boy! I would enjoy reading that. Even though I knew it was all poppycock. It would still give me a few minutes of joyous relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment