Wednesday 8 September 2010

Local Customs

Lothian buses in Edinburgh don't give change. It was a shock, or at least a surprise and a pratical challenge. I wasn't about to insert another £2 coin in the box just to buy a £3 Day Rider ticket. So we reached an impass, the Driver and me. I briefly resorted to my grumpy hang-dog expression.But he was more positve.

"Has anyone got change for a £2 coin?" he called towards the back of the bus.

Then a wonderful thing happened. Ten, maybe more, people - all women - began fishing in their handbags and purses. They just took the time to help. And someone succeeded. She pieced together exactly the required amount and we made the exchange.

As I paid the rest of my fare the Driver apologised for the 'no-change' system. I felt bad for being such a grumps shown up by all the others pulling together to get through the day. I liked Edinburgh even more from that point on.

No comments:

Post a Comment